Do you have a case? Find out for FREE

Call: 303-423-1770 or Toll-Free 866-385-3505

We offer in person as well as contactless consultations and document signings. Located in Northglenn Colorado, we proudly serve the North Denver communities. Learn More

When Can’t You File Against the Government?

When Can’t You File against the Government?

Government workers responsible for keeping public areas safe have significant duties that need to be carried out promptly and properly. If a government employee’s neglect or negligence injures someone, the employee liable for the mistake may be held responsible through the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). However, there are several limitations to these claims that may significantly reduce a person’s eligibility in filing a lawsuit.

If you’ve been injured due to a government employee’s negligent conduct, you may be eligible to file for financial compensation. Because taking this kind of legal action against the government or an employee is often more complex, it is advisable to speak with a skilled personal injury lawyer to discuss your options and unique circumstances. To speak with an experienced attorney, contact a Denver personal injury lawyer today by calling (303) 423-1770.

Limits to the Federal Tort Claims Act

The government has the right to restrict certain claims being filed against them. In particular, the following claims may be dismissed if brought against the government:

  • Claims against most independent contractors, not employees
  • Most claims of intentional misconduct
  • Negligence done outside the scope of an employee’s work
  • Military injury claims from service members

The federal government may also exempt itself from punitive damages in these lawsuits. While the wrongdoers may be called to provide compensation by the courts or through a settlement, they can’t be called to pay punitive damages for the claimant.

Contact Us

An injury caused by a government worker may leave you with significant medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, and lost wages. Fighting for compensation in such a situation on your own may be very difficult. To see if you’re eligible to file a claim and if we can help you through this, contact a Denver personal injury attorney today at (303) 423-1770.


At Hull & Zimmerman, P.C., we are honored to help accident victims in their time of need, and take our responsibility as personal injury lawyers incredibly seriously. We know how important it is for victims to secure the full and fair compensation they need following a serious accident, and that is why we take a hands-on, personalized approach to every case we handle.

What Our
Clients Say