Do you have a case? Find out for FREE

Call: 303-423-1770 or Toll-Free 866-385-3505

We offer in person as well as contactless consultations and document signings. Located in Northglenn Colorado, we proudly serve the North Denver communities. Learn More

What do You do if the Police Report is Wrong?

police officer and investigator with a camera | Police Report is WrongBeing injured in a car accident is a scary event that can have a long-lasting effect on your entire life. Immediately after your accident, it is important to call 911 to have medical personnel and police officials arrive at the scene of the crash. The police report will be an invaluable tool when trying to establish fault and collect the compensation you deserve. In fact, the police report could make or break your case. But what happens when you disagree with the police report or the details in the report? What do you do if the police report is wrong?

After a crash, emotions may be running high and there may be chaos at the accident scene. Police officers do their best to gather data and talk to eye witnesses before making their report. But, sometimes they may get details of the accident wrong. They may mistakenly describe your car, write your license number wrong, or they may incorrectly state the positioning of the cars after the crash. While some of these details may be easy to correct, others can be difficult to change – especially if what you disagree with is the officer’s interpretation of events.

If you have evidence to support your claim, it is important to give this evidence to the police and make your request that the report be changed. You can submit your VIN number or pictures of the crash scene to help the officer correct any erroneous facts in the report. However, if the officer concludes that you were partly to blame for the accident and you disagree, this may be significantly harder to have corrected. If the police officer refuses to change the report, you can still write your own report with details of the accident scene and the evidence you have to backup your claims. You can then request that this information is attached to the official report.

Some of the evidence you can provide to get the police report changed could include:

  • Medical reports
  • Car damage pictures
  • Accident scene pictures
  • Eyewitness statements
  • Car documents
  • Accident documents

Your car accident attorney can use this information to negotiate a fairer settlement with the insurance company and help you obtain the money you need to pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, loss of future earnings and pain and suffering. You don’t have to suffer alone and even if the police report is wrong, your attorney may be able to help.

Contact Our Arvada Car Accident Lawyers

Hull & Zimmerman P.C.If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident and you don’t believe the police report is accurate, it is important to call our law firm immediately. At Hull & Zimmerman, P.C., our committed car accident lawyers are dedicated to the belief that everyone deserves justice. We can help you get the police report amended and negotiate on your behalf for maximum compensation. Contact us at (303) 423-1770 or (866) 385-3505. We are ready to help you during this difficult time.


At Hull & Zimmerman, P.C., we are honored to help accident victims in their time of need, and take our responsibility as personal injury lawyers incredibly seriously. We know how important it is for victims to secure the full and fair compensation they need following a serious accident, and that is why we take a hands-on, personalized approach to every case we handle.

What Our
Clients Say